TENS or Translucent Electrical Nerve Stimulation machine is a device used for releasing muscle tension and various pains in the body by introducing a mild electrical current to it. It is used with two sticky pads called electrodes that are attached to the affected area. Tens unit can be purchased from pharmacies, designated manufacturer’s distributor and from online supplier. A TENS machine is recommended for the following applications:
- Ease of labour pains
- Neck pain
- Back pain
- Period pains or dysmenorrhea
- Muscle tension
- Knee pain
- Sports injuries
Avoid using Tens device on the following conditions:
- Lesions or broken skin
- Mouth or eyes
- Simultaneous use on the chest and upper back
- Irritated skin
- Front or side area of the neck
- Varicose veins
- Numb parts of the body
- Tens unit should not be used while the person is on the shower or taking a bath.
- Avoid using the device when driving or operating machinery.
The device is proven safe and effective in alleviating pain but only on a short-term basis. It should not be taken as a cure or maintenance for serious physical pain and diseases. The device should also not be used without medical practitioner’s approval or recommendation.
Although the device doesn’t have any side effects, there are conditions wherein a person is advised against using such devices, no matter how safe they are to use. Some people may be irritated with the pads resulting to skin redness or rashes but these are temporary and can be cured with anti-irritant ointments. When buying a Tens unit, choose one that has anti-allergy pads for people with allergy.
One thing to remember is that, not all people can use the device. Those who have the following conditions are advised against using the device:
- Do not use tens unit if you have a metal implant in your body. The electric current against the metal device would have a severe reaction in your body and may even cause electric shock.
- Do not use Tens unit if you are using pacemaker.
- Tens is not also recommended for pregnant women or those who suspect that they may be pregnant.
- Heart issues or epilepsy.